Friday, August 10, 2007

Noorie

It was a normal day for me. I was on the way home from college, late in the evening. I caught my usual Dadar - Kalyan local train. The seats were already occupied and some women had occupied doors and the passage to sit. But, I somehow managed to get some place to stand in the passage near the door. A girl was sitting next to me with a huge bag on her lap. The train started moving. Matunga Station arrived. A person boarded the train and was standing near the door. The train was nearing Sion Station. The person standing near the door asked the girl sitting down next to me to stand up giving her a reason why is she saying so? It was just because more crowd was getting in the train and she could face breathing problem and in addition other women as usual could yell at her for sitting. The girl unlike others obeyed her, and got up. They both exchanged smiles and this aroused a conversation...

The person asked the girl "Are you coming from a trip?" She replied politely, “Yes, I had been to Ooty". They both went on chatting asking questions about each other. The girl asked the person same question which she had just replied “What do you do?". The person replied, "I spread information on AIDS awareness in slums.” All females in the passage who were overhearing their conversation were stunned with this answer. They were not shocked with the word AIDS, they were annoyed because of the person who was taking about it. The person who just dared to say it was a Eunuch/Transgender.

I, standing next to the girl thought, Is it true or is she bluffing??? Eunuchs are mostly ill-treated. Most of the people make faces when they are around. When such people get in our train compartments, most of the females pass nasty comments. They are avoided, ignored, insulted, hated… I always had thought that such people don't have anything to do, except begging in front of people for money. I thought that we normal people haven't left any profession for them. None of us would like to have such people as a friend, colleague or even as an acquaintance. Some people do not even like them standing close to them. So, I was curious to know Is it true? If yes, how they handle this job?? It would be really difficult for them to make people listen to them??

I was about to ask these questions and the girl coincidently asked the same, "Are u serious? Do people listen to what you say?"

The person smiled and said, "I work with an association, run by our community, to spread the awareness of a disease i.e. AIDS. We go door to door in slums making people aware of it. Yes, it’s a tough job for us, as people don't accept us easily. When we knock their door, they shut it on our face just seeing us without giving us a chance to utter a single word. Most of them think, we are beggars as many people like us do that. Some are scared of us. Out of 100 people, 85 are such who neglect us, but rest 15 considers us HUMANS. In our profession, we don't try to make people forcibly listen to us. It is very difficult to convince people who completely disrespect you or even not contemplate you. Many like me were not even accepted by our parents, so how do we expect others to accept us?? But who make an attempt to listen what we are saying, we convey them are messages happily."

Now, most of them in the train were listening to what the person was talking as her voice was loud. Miracle one would say, but yes, the compartment was almost silent, listening to her. The girl and I were so engrossed in her talk that we didn't realize the next station was ours. We both went to the other door, and I shouted from the other end, "What’s your name?" The person answered happily, "NOORIE!”. We got down from the train and waved her Good Bye.

Noorie's talks would have really left an impact on some who heard her and I was one of them too. Noorie unknowingly has taught me something. She taught me How to value life? We are lucky that we are born normal. Our problems are really tiny as compared to what Noorie has faced. Negligence and Avoidance, this is what she has experienced since birth and one should be that tough to fight all the problems in life instead of crying over it. I felt, my problems are nothing in front of this.

This all happened in one of my bad phases, may be that’s the reason, this incident has influenced me. Surely, I will remember Noorie all my life.

29 comments:

Rahul Desai said...

Khyati, you're one of the loveliest persons I've ever had the privilege to meet. Don't ever change. The world needs a million of you but until then one of you will have to do.

AmrutA said...

Katz,its just wonderful,it had been said "that no 2 people inthe world think same",but in case of yours,not only two people but the whole world cant think like you.
Amazing Humanitarian...u are

Prasanna said...

Hey khyatiii...it was a nice experience to read abt Noorie...u hve put up very well

Anonymous said...

Khatz .... What an Experience ... When i was reading .. I could hear Noorie's voice... Really we should learn from Eunuchs ... We ill-treat them so much but still they work for our betterment..Hats off to them...A very touching experience yaar...

Katz said...

Hey All,
Thanks, for appreciating my first blog.. I have tried my level best to pendown what I really felt.

Dev said...

Hey Khyati,

You won't believe it but this is the first non technical blog I have ever read. You have done excellent job in writing down your experience. While reading it I could feel the pain Noorie might have suffered in his/her whole life. Still (s)he has amazingly +ve attitude towards all humans.Thanks for sharing your experience.

Waiting for your next blog.

khan said...

welcome aboard:)
got thru mystique-times;)
well i normally, take the honors of rating first blogs (they call it occupational hazards i call it license to will *bond look*), but in ur case the fan folllowing is stupendous..still will go ahead...honest attempt..u sound so natural..way to go gal, btw,i m bookmarking u on my blogroll:)

Unknown said...

Hey Khyati it was nice to read about your experience.
While reading it I could visualize the whole incident and feel Noorie's pain and strength.

Katz said...

@Life on a freeway

Thanks for the encouragement... and am happy u bookmarked me on ur blogroll..

IrShAd said...

so the 10th comment on your post ... in one day.. dats great.

anyways... Noorie .. u described her really well..

but.. *Spoilers Ahead* (tempting) will u recognize her once u see her again.. will u go talk to her if u with someone...someone special..

Would love to take a poll on that.. how many would...

*Spoilers End*

Katz said...

@mystique

I agree with the point that May be I wont be able to recognize her coz they all look same.. But I still remember what her attire was on the day I met..

And If it happens that I meet her and recognize her when i am with someone special, I wont be ashamed to talk to her.

The incident not only changed my attitude towards my life but also towards such people.

Prerana Karlekar said...

I will say , its an INCIDENT to remeber for LIFETIME.......& which certainly dreives us to take actionsssss.
Its not only abt Noorie but definately abou t her THOUGHTS & in her case even for her GUTSS,
As being deprieved of all the happiness, rights n all the things which come naturally to NORMAL ppl like us , noorie & her toughts hava a great significance.....n*& her ACTION her DEDICATION speaks for HERRRR.
As eduacated ppl like us who even claim to be RESPONSIBEL CITIZEN of the country don't really seem to CONTRIBUTE anyhting for the growth of the socienty & country .......so i would definately appreciate Khyati for sharing her valuable experinece with us.
& would again like to here from her from on various INTERESTING & INSPIRATIONAL thingss.
Well done Khyatuuu.

Unknown said...

Hey Khyati!! i really admire ur human approach towards others.. its good to know that u listen to peoples thoughts nomatter who that person is. yes its true we normally see eunuchs with a different approach but yes i truely beleive they are ones who shuld be accepted by society and given equal opportunity for everything in life..

Katz said...

@prerana

You are so very correct.. I think more than the people living in slums, the educated people traveling in train are more disgusting.

You can vote on a poll on my blog related to this blog.

Thanks for the liking it.

Katz said...

@Kamlesh

My main intention was to convey the same message.. and I am glad you got it..

Unknown said...

hey Khyati its' really very touching experience..i was totally speechless after reading it..i could visualise it..really hats off to Noorie..its' nice tht u r sharing ths experience with us..thr are some ppl around me who are jst always crying on threir very small problems..i will tell ths experience of urs to as many ppl psbl..

Katz said...

@kruttika

Thanks dear..I would be proud of you too if you pass on the message too..

Anonymous said...

Hey Khyati, its simply amezing experience.... really there is a need 2 giv a respectful treatment 2 these people.... n i also wanna congradulate U coz u ve written it in a simply gr8 way!!!

Siva said...

its true ...
lots of things are going around ...
we need to open our eyes ...
Hats off for Noorie & Thanks to you for making us to feel in the same way you felt.

Unknown said...

The very good topic u have posted here.Ya AIDS is the big problem in front of India, which will be in control only when the people knows wat is AIDS?Your topic definatly force everyone to think what is their role for society.You have put in very good language too.

Katz said...

@vijay

Vijay, the topic is not only on AIDS.. but its on the eunuchs who try hard to achieve what they want to..

Katz said...

@Devendra

I am sorry for replying late to your comment.

I loved the fact you commenting, and happy that your first non-technical blog did not disappoint you.

I have created a poll on Noorie.. You can vote too..

Anonymous said...

Simply awesome !!!

I was touched deeply and now my view for the eunuchs have changed completely.

I am lucky to have u as a friend because it is quite possible that I might have not experienced wat you have. But, due to you, I am able to feel it even though I have not experienced it.

Hats off to you !!

Vick said...

good job....i like the message...although i had to derive it...
you had me cornered for 3 rounds and was waiting for the final punch which never came.
you have a gift to touch people when u write/ talk... so give us more :)
cheers !!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this link on on orkut community.Very nicely narrated,it was a part of my experience.

Tinz said...

Hey Khyati, keep up the good work.
I liked the way you narrated it.
Keep up the good work.

It inspired me to start my own blog.

Anonymous said...

well well well..........such a beautiful post......well i was depressed with mah personal issues but after reading this post......im smiling and am filled with a feeling thts telling me tht there r so many good things in life to give time to....rather than cribbing abt our own problems......thanx khyati.....and yeah.....u r doing a good job.......keep up the god work.....cheers....

Sandeep Pai said...

Very well captured KD ... dunno why u stopped - do keep blogging re...

Suhas said...

"Noorie" first of all should be appreciated for making a difference rather than begging like others. Yes it takes lot of guts and more than that lot of values to walk the road. I feel u r privileged and so we are through you, to encounter such an incident which brings in lot of questions and retrospection within us. Your human values are seen in your post and i must say i admired it a lot through out the reading Kyathi. Good job. keep writing.

The more you do...

The more you talk about it, you think about it. The more you think about it, you worry about it, The more you worry about it, you are upset ...